October 19, 2010

.day 154: the name game.

Now that we know Jelly Bean is a girl, we are faced with the task of picking out a name. You see, we were so sure we were having a boy that we had name already picked out for the little fella, first and middle. Now, we are back to square one and we are finding choosing a fitting, female moniker very difficult.

We have a very short list and I am debating whether or not to ask for opinions on the names we are considering. I'm afraid someone will give me a reason to discard one of the names I'm really beginning to like.

It always happens; I start to warm up to a name, spill the beans to someone (figuring that they will love it, too), and they bring up some unsavory aspect of the title I hadn't even considered. I'm sure no one is actually trying to be a name saboteur, but I hate falling in love with a name only to hear about horrible classmates and terrible nicknames.

Then again, I would hate to give my child a name that the general public thought was outrageous or ridiculous.

So, do we put our name list out there, subjecting our carefully considered names to ridicule or approval? Or do we keep our naming options to ourselves and secretly decide between ourselves, critics be damned?

*sigh*

Well, we have a few more months to ponder, at least. I leave you with one of my favorite TV show quotes of all time. From the uber funny 30 Rock, here is Cerie on 'baby names:'

"We both want to have babies while it's still cool. I already have all the names picked out. If it's a girl, Bookcase... or Sandstorm... or maybe Hat, but that's more of a boy's name."

0 comments: